Hey there! How was your weekend? I’d like to tell you that I spent all weekend just laying around on my duff and doing absolutely nothing, but who would believe that anyway?! Nope, I spent the weekend sorting through holiday decorations and gathering ideas for the up and coming holiday home decorating extravaganza!! But before I get into a full blown binge of Christmas tinsel and treasure, I thought I’d share a little DIY project with you.
Do you ever have a “oops” project that just “accidentally” turns out to be fabulous? Well, okay maybe not fabulous, but this was sort of an experiment that turned out way better than I expected! I took a plain old fabric storage basket and turned it into a DIY vintage metal storage bin!
Wanna know how to make this yourself? I tell ya, this one take some careful techniques and a very special product to get this look… Pffft!!!
Nah… all you need is a little spray paint and about 5 minutes! My kinda DIY!!
Here’s how it all started out. After I got my bookcases in the home office, I realized I needed to some space for Ms. Bree’s toys. Lots of toys. Lots. Everywhere.
I already had these fabric storage baskets, but they didn’t blend with the new decor in the office so I set out on an experiment to pretty them up.I figured, how bad could it be? If it turned out to be a total utter disaster then I’d just have to chalk it up and find some new storage bins.
Thankfully, my spray paint would not let me down. 🙂 Thanks Rust-oleum! Lots of love.. muah!
I started with a light coat of gray primer. I seriously had no idea what I was doing or even what I wanted to achieve here. I just knew the brown fabric was not working and everything else in the room was white or gray so there ya go. You now know the secrets to my madness! 😉
After the primer gray, it was – eh, so so. I was not impressed. Back to the garage again to raid the spray paint supply. Then I found my last can of Rust-oleum’s metallic spray paint. Yep, works on wood, metal, and more. I read the label and while nothing actually mentioned “fabric”, I decided this would fall under the “more” category.
Again, there was no real technique to this. In fact, I was afraid I wouldn’t even have enough paint left to cover the entire bin. So, I gave it a light coat, being sure to get good coverage on the handles. Hey, if nothing else, the handles would look good! If swishy is a technique (technique? I don’t even know if swishy is a word- just go with it) then that’s what I call this. Light, swishy spray painting. And here’s what you end up with…
After a little dry time, I stepped back and evaluated my experimental project and thought to myself, “huh, this might work.”
I picked up my storage bin, shrugged my shoulders and went back to the office. Tossed in a few of Ms. Bree’s favorite toys and placed it on the bookshelf. I went about the rest of my biz-ness and suddenly it struck me.
It actually looked like a metal storage bin and blended right in with the vintage storage baskets I already had in the room! I love it when a plan comes together!
I grabbed the other fabric bin and made a matching one for the other bookcase as well. Now we can store even more… toys. 🙂
So there’s my accidentally fabulous DIY project! Once again, spray paint saved the day and all is well in the Creatively Southern home. So what experimental projects have you tried that maybe turned out much better than you expected… or maybe not. 🙂 All that matters is you never give up… keep creating my friends!