Hey there! Alright, it’s time for some more blogging tips this week. The question I’ve had asked the most recently is, “How do I grow my readership?” I’m so glad you asked!
Every blogger wants to grow their blog and readership… why else do you spend hours in front of that computer, right? Okay, so here’s the deal. I’m going to share some tips with you but bottom line is the success and growth of your blog depends on your content, how much you promote it, and how well you network with other bloggers and the readers you do have. Oh and in case I’ve failed to mention this before… it takes time. 😉
Here’s my top 8 tips for growing your readership as well as some links to some experts on each! Let’s start with content.
- Learn SEO. To grow your readership, you need traffic. To get traffic, you need to know what people are searching for. SEO or Search Engine Optimization is just that – how search friendly you are, so to speak. So think about your blog. What are some keywords that describe your blog content. If you wanted to search for your blog content, what keywords or phrases would you search for? Be sure you use those keywords or phrases in your posts and titles. For a little more in depth look at SEO tips, read this post from The Sits Girls. And if you’re really serious about growing your blog, I recommend you read the e-book SEO for Creative Bloggers by Court Tuttle over at TheBlogBuilders.com. Wealth of helpful information when you’re ready to take it to the next level!
- Link It Up! I mentioned this one before in my previous tip posts. You can choose to host a link party, or participate in link parties, or you might just want to ask a fellow blogger (preferably one a little bigger than you) to link to your blog content. That last one is a little harder and takes a bit tougher skin, because there’s always the chance they will say no. But if you have good content that adds value to your readers, promote it!!
- Comment on Other Blogs. Remember a bit ago I said your growth also depends on how well you network with other bloggers and your readers? This is one way to build that network. Check out my tips on comments before you do this.
- Get on board with social media. I get it, there’s a ridiculous amount of social media sites out there and how do you balance them all?First of all, you need to know which social media sites work best for you. If you don’t have a large following on Facebook, you might not want to put all your eggs in that basket. A lot of bloggers will tell you that Pinterest is a huge driver of traffic to their sites. But social media isn’t about linking up your posts every single time. Remember your readers want to know about you… the real you. So share more than just your blog posts on social media sites. I don’t mean put your life out there like an open book, but let the readers in a little. Let’s be friends, umkay?
- Google Analytics. If you aren’t using this or some kind of analytics for your site, you could be missing out on some very useful information. Google Analytics can tell you where readers are visiting on your site, what they’re searching for, and where they are leaving from. It will also tell you where your traffic is coming from so you can build upon it.
- Tell people. Okay, I’m still working on this one myself. 🙂 But if you really want to grow, you gotta let people know about your blog. Attach it to your email signature, link it up to your social media profiles, tell your friends and family. I know what you’re thinking.” Um, are my friends going to think I’m weird because I blog??” Maybe, but hey if it’s what makes ya happy, then do it! Your friends will support you or you can just blog about them later. And if you read my Random Facts, then you know that most of my family and friends don’t know I blog. But that’s actually starting to change now thanks to a few close friends. You know who you are. 😉
- Submit guest posts. Again, this one takes some tough skin, because there’s always the chance someone will not appreciate the most best written blog post evahhh that you spent hours putting together and editing as much as you do. Hey, it’s okay… carry on my friend and keep improving, but don’t give up. (psst… Creatively Southern accepts guest posts relative to the content.)
- Promote yourself more than you blog. Every blogger I know at some point has felt like they needed to write more blog posts… must. write. more.posts. It’s not as much about blogging than it is promoting what you have written. Go for quality more than quantity and promote the heck out of it through all the avenues I’ve listed above. Look for feature sites like ucreatecrafts.com, roadkillrescue.net, tipjunkie.com and the list goes on! If your blog is about DIY or home decor, you gotta get on HomeTalk.
Work on getting to know other bloggers and your readers. Loyal readers bring more readers because they share your content. They like it, tweet it, pin it, plus it, stumble all over it, and link it in to all their buds. Life is good.
Alright, so who’s ready to get more readers? One thing to remember is that things change so quickly these days. Depending on what your niche is, the competition out there can be fierce. But don’t forget it’s not about the competition, it’s about doing what you like, what you love, sharing what your passionate about… whatever that is. Success doesn’t happen overnight. Every blogger out there has had to work hard for it and many still do. I hope these tips help at least one of you and if nothing else, help you to remember that you’re not an island out here.
What tips do you have or what have you learned works well for your readership growth? What other tips or questions do you have about growing your blog?
Want to see more tips in this series?